In a previous class EDAE 624, I participated in a team presentation that summarized a chapter about transformational learning. This section and the chapter on somatic and emotional experiences in learning were the most interesting sections of the book, Learning in Adulthood (Merriam et al., 2007). Learning involves a shift in perceptions, often away from static models towards more fluid and open approaches. Daloz surfaced as a contributor in this chapter on transformational learning along with Freire (social-emancipatory approach), Tisdell (spiritual), and Mezirow (psycho critical). So it was through the research and presentation that I first became of aware of Laurent Daloz.
Daloz believes that narratives hold a key to understanding the lives of learners as well as their ongoing processes through the educational journey, and he feels that listening to the student’s stories is an essential component in the mentoring relationship (Merriam, p. 138). As an ESL facilitator, I do feel that the learner’s narratives are vital in not only helping to assess and place the learners, but in humanizing the relationship between instructor and student as well as creating a sense of honoring and validating the learner’s experiences and development.
I am eager to more deeply explore Daloz’s (1986) Effective Teaching and Mentoring: Realizing the Transformational Power of Adult Learning Experiences. Thus far, I have read selected sections, and briefly went through it from cover to cover. What I see is that Laurent has told the narratives of several students and mentors and touched upon significant aspects of their experiences. The former world views of students are sometimes challenged through education, and at times mentors face challenges that they were not prepared nor trained for. It will be an interesting read. Has anyone read it?
To find out more about the author Laurent A. Daloz go to the following link. It includes a photo.
No comments:
Post a Comment